DIY Ottoman Weekend Project



Kate and I have a coffee table that consists of a metal base and a glass top. Sometime during the move the glass top was chipped on one of the corners. Although maybe it could come in handy during a zombie apocalypse survival situation, with the coming baby I didn't think it was wise to have a table with an integrated cutting surface. 

Looking for a way to re-purpose the table was our first choice. After much Pinteresting we came across many DIY upholstered ottoman made from an existing coffee table. The end result looked to be the perfect solution for creating a stylish baby friendly piece of furniture.

This weekend Joann Fabrics had a sale on many of the materials required for the project so we braved the cold and got all the supplies.

It was a overwhelming being that it was my first time there with the vast variety of options available. We asked a lot of questions and ended up with the perfect materials.

The fabric we chose was in a pile waiting to be restocked, when the attendant measured the remnant there was exactly enough remaining and we were given the remnant price. The foam was the biggest ticket item and luckily was 50% off.


Materials Needed:


  • Medium Weight Fabric
  • 2" Foam for the top
  • 1" Foam for the sides (Baby Bumpers)
  • long needle
  • Upholstery thread
  • DIY Button Kit
  • Batting
  • Pre-Cut 2'x4' Plywood
  • 1"x6"s for the sides of the wooden box

Wooden Box Construction


The coffee table we have is 2'x4', I constructed a box just big enough to slide over the top. Cut everything to length and held it together with wood glue and my Dad's brad nailer. Once constructed I drilled holes through the plywood in the button locations.


Foam Padding 


Next I used spray glue to adhere the foam to the box. The foam has to be cut away at the button locations. I was hoping to be able to just use my drill to make the hole in the foam but the foam would grab the bit and try to spin with it. The foam had to be cut with a utility knife and was kind of a pain.





Fabric & Buttons


Once the foam is in place cover the top with batting, I used my Dad's heavy duty stapler to hold it in place.

Then the fabric goes on, pull tight and staple around the perimeter. Leave the corners for last and trim the extra fabric. 

With the fabric on I was ready to make the buttons. This took a ton of patience and finger strength, I ended up only making seven buttons because they were such a pain to make. The thicker fabric made them especially challenging. 

I located the holes with the long needle and tried sewing on the 1st button. With one strand of thread the button popped right out and eventually it took 4 strands to hold them. I would pull the thread through the hole to the underside of the table. There I shot a stable adjacent to the hole. I'd tie the thread to the staple while pulling as hard as possible. Once tied I hammered down the staple to secure the thread permanently. 

The buttons were the most challenging part of the build but they really added a to the look of the ottoman and made it look finished. 





I'm happy with the end result and also glad to be able to save the table from the landfill.

Comments

Popular Posts